I’ve had this fun and tasty pasta salad up my sleeve for awhile, but I was waiting until it was a little more weather appropriate. I’ve eaten this in the dead of winter and it was delightful, but it’s totally a warm weather dish. Perfect for a barbecue or picnic!
The sweet, tangy, and creamy sauce pairs so well with the sweetness of the pineapple, carrot and ham. And me being me, I had to add some of my sweet pickled jalapeños. I loved how they brought a little heat to the dish. If you haven’t made them, you totally should. I’ll even come over and make them for you. I just need you to have them in your life.
I also made this using the homemade mayo I posted about a couple of months ago. It’s so easy, and you’ll feel so much better about what you’re putting in your bod!
If you just have regular pickled jalapeños you should halve the amount, and I would cut them veeerrrrry finely or maybe even blend them into the sauce. You wouldn’t want this to be overly spicy. Or you can omit the jalapeños altogether and it would still be good☺️
I’ll say at first I was’t sure about this one. I tried it and liked it, but Dan wasn’t coming anywhere near it. Pasta salad with a creamy-ish sauce – not happening. I was a little worried when I served it to one of my friends a few hours later. But it was a total hit. I think it needed some time to chill and let the flavors come out. It was so good… I may have had more than three servings😬 #noregrets #right??
I even had this for lunch for a few days afterwards and it kept really well – there was no part of it that got “weird”. I think the vinegar helped keep it pepped* up.
This recipe is an adaption of from The Recipe Critic – here’s the link: http://therecipecritic.com/2015/07/hawaiian-macaroni-salad/
- ½ pound dry elbow macaroni, prepared according to package directions and rinsed in cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained (reserve ½ cup liquid for dressing)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup green onion
- ½ cup chopped sweet jalapeños
- Pineapple Dressing:
- ½ cup reserved pineapple juice
- ½ mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni, jalapeños, pineapple chunks, ham, carrots, and green onion in a bowl. set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, cider vinegar, and sugar. Pour over pasta and stir to coat.