Martian potatoes?? Really Alice? Okay, maybe this one is a baby bit of a stretch. But let me walk you through my thought process here. If you’ve seen The Martian then you know that he grows potatoes on Mars(spoiler alert!), so I obviously had to do potato recipe. And I thought “green is Martian-y and pesto is green and I like pesto”. And a recipe was born. But honestly, when I tested out the Oscar recipes these were probably the most popular. Potatoes, pesto, shrimp, and cheese – how can you go wrong?? You really can’t.
This is basically a loaded potato skin concept with a twist. I love pesto and seafood together, so I thought that the shrimp would be a good addition to the potatoes. And the shrimp fancies it up – it is the Oscars after all. 😉 You should absolutely make this with homemade pesto if you happen to have some on hand. But I used jarred as it costs like $10 freaking dollars to make fresh in the winter. One of the best parts about this was the slightly burnt parm left one the pan. Burnt cheese is the best. 😍
So have you seen all of the Oscar movies yet? We still have to see The Revenant. But we’ll get it done before our Oscar party on Sunday! It’s been so fun making all of these recipes, and I didn’t make half of the ideas we came up with – there were a lot more dessert type recipes(Revenant Bear Claws, The Danish Curl, Room For Dessert), but who wants to go to a party with all desserts?? Okay – probably some of you, but you’re weird (jkjkjk love you).
I do have one more potential recipe for this series – testing it tonight and we’ll see how it turns out! I’ll give you a hint though: it’s not a food and I might be hungover tomorrow. Wish me luck!
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 jar pesto
- About ¾ bag large shrimp (tail on, deveined, uncooked is what I used)
- 1 container parmesan (I used the shaved parm from Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Slice potatoes the long way - about ⅓ - ½ inch slices and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets
- Brush the potatoes with the pesto. Place one or two shrimp on each potato depending on the size of the potato. Top with the parmesan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.