This is officially my favorite way of preparing spaghetti squash. Roasted spaghetti squash with cheesy creaminess and herbal pesto flavors. And a head of roasted garlic for good measure 😉
Mmmm, pretty garlic😍
Now this isn’t the most photogenic of recipes. This would be a great time for smell-a-vision.
When I made this I did include some chicken that I had on hand, but I decided to omit it for the official recipe. If you have some on hand it wouldn’t hurt to add it. I used about a cup of chicken, but I thought it didn’t really add anything to the dish and why not go vegetarian when you can☺️
For Roasted Squash and Garlic:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then cut the gourd in half using a sharp chef’s knife. Use the tip of the knife to break the skin and then pull down using the rest of the blade.
Use a spoon to remove all of the seeds.
Cut of about 1/4″ of the top of the bulb. Place garlic bulb in aluminum foil. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil over bulb. Bring the edges of the foil together and close the bulb inside. Place on baking sheet with squash.
Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil over squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook for at least 45 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when you can easily stick a fork into the skin. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
When I made this my garlic head was HUGE, so it was fine for the 45 minutes. You might want to take your garlic out about 10 minutes early if you have a smaller size head.
Use a fork to pull the spaghetti-like strands from the gourd. Make sure to line up your fork with the direction of the strands on the squash.
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- salt and pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- ⅔ cup container pesto
- ½ cup half and half
- 8 ounces sliced bella mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- cornstarch slurry(1TB cornstarch + ¼ cup warm water, stirred)
- 1 TB butter
- 1 cup mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- Increase oven temperature to 500. Heat butter in medium pan. Once the pan is hot place mushrooms in pan and coat with the butter. Continue cooking over medium heat until mushrooms are cooked through and slightly browned. Once browned remove mushrooms from pan and put aside. Add cream and pesto to pan and stir thoroughly over medium heat. Add mozzarella and the cornstarch and water slurry. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Once sauce has thickened(should be about a minute) remove from the heat.
- Combine squash, mushrooms, pesto sauce, in 12x12 casserole dish. Squeeze roasted garlic out of the bulbs and into the casserole dish. Stir until ingredients are fully incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with ½ cup mozzarella and place in preheated oven. Bake 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is browned.