The key to this recipe is marinating the veggies and shrimp beforehand. I marinated the shrimp separately from the veggies as the veggies take a couple minutes longer to cook and overcooked shrimp is *the worst*.
I made this using rice noodles. I love rice noodles, because they soak up flavor really nicely, so they are great in Asian dishes. They are virtually flavorless on their own – so be warned! These noodles need to soak in HOT water for about 20 minutes or so, so I did that first. The package should have directions on how to soak them. I soaked them to al dente as I was going to be cooking it in the wok after soaking them and I didn’t want them over done😬
If you have a wok, this is the time to use it. It’s very handy since you can push the food that’s done cooking up on the side and then add the new ingredient to the hot bottom of the pan to cook. You could cook the components in separate pans and mix them together at the end, but I don’t have a dishwasher(besides Dan of course😜😍), so keeping dirty pans to a minimum is important to me!
I added eggs at the end for more protein. Since this dish is pretty saucy they kind of got lost, but I enjoyed what texture it did give to the dish. What I’m saying is, the eggs are optional☺️
Marinade Recipe (I split this in portions, about 2/3 for veggies, 1/3 for the shrimp)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-2 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons sesame oil
2-3 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 -3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4 ounces rice noodles
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 - 2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce (depending on how hot you want it)
- i inch freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1lb frozen peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- 1 zucchini, sliced in half then into half moons
- 8 ounces mushroms, cut chunky
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- ½ cup peanuts, chopped
- Pre-soak rice noodles according to package directions. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, chili garlic sauce, chopped garlic, vinegar and fresh ginger then stir to combine and set aside. Whisk eggs and sesame oil together in a small bowl then set aside. Pat shrimp dry between layers of paper towels then set aside.
- When rice noodles have 10 minutes left to soak, heat ½ Tablespoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in the wok then add zucchini and mushrooms, scooping out of marinade with a slotted spoon, and then stir fry until just barely crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Push zucchini and mushrooms to the side of the wok, making room in the middle. Add the shrimp, scooping out with a slotted spoon. Cook for another two minutes and push to the side. Add noodles to the middle with some of the marinade liquid to further cook the noodles - about ½ a cup or so. Add half the green onions then stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Push the vegetables and noodles to the sides of the wok to create a well in the center then add the whisked egg. Let sit for 30 seconds then scramble, and then mix to incorporate into the vegetables.
- Divide noodles between bowls then top with reserved green onions, chopped peanuts.