I love Oscar season! I love watching the movies, speculating about who should win, and cheering for my favorites. Since we started dating Dan and I will try to watch all of the Best Picture nominated films around Christmas and New Year’s. Given that the Oscars are this month I wanted to do a series of Oscar themed recipes that I’ll be making for our Oscar viewing get together and you can make for yours The Hateful Eight Layer Dip is my first of several Oscar themed recipes I’ll be posting in the next few weeks.
This dip was super tasty and easy to make, but just like the hateful eight, it wasn’t the prettiest thing you’ve ever seen. Given this, I adjusted the recipe to fix these flaws. Or you could serve it in a container that’s not clear and no one will know the difference.
I made a couple of changes from your traditional layer dip. I omitted the sour cream layer since Dan hates it with a passion, but with the guacamole it wasn’t missed. One of the layers is the candied jalapeños that I posted last week. You could either omit this layer if you don’t want to make those, or some stores sell sweet pickled jalapenos (same dif). I also used queso fresco, because it’s salty and delicious. It’s a white crumbly Mexican cheese that you can usually find in stores in the cities. If you don’t have that available you could definitely use a Mexican shredded blend cheese and that would be great as well!
I didn’t exactly know what I was doing when I started this blog, but it’s given me a chance to put my nerdy fun foodie ideas out there and most importantly an excuse to do things like this I’m excited to roll out the rest of the recipes I have up my sleeve! #nochill
- 2 cans refried black beans (warmed slightly in microwave for easier spreading
- 1 8oz container Wholly Guacamole (or you can make your own!)
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes with chilis, drained
- 1 contained Queso Fresco, crumbled
- ½ cup candied/sweet pickled jalapenos (optional) - try our recipe HERE
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- Layer ingredients in the following order: Refried black beans, guacamole, tomatoes, queso fresco(cheese), jalapenos, cilantro, iceberg lettuce, and black olives.
- Serve with tortilla chips.